10 Favorite Lord of the Rings Quotes

I rank Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings trilogy, as one of the best of all times.
I never grew tired of watching them, because every time I discover something new, that I hadn’t seen before.

Another reason, to why I enjoy watching them repeatedly, is the dialogue.

I think that the actors deliver their lines in way that often leaves you charmed, teary-eyed and with goose bumps all over, just embracing the astounding world of J.R.R Tolkien, whishing it would never end.

Therefore, I have put together a top 10 list of my favorite quotes from Lord of the Rings, which I also think shows the greatness of these three movies.

The list is in reverse order, going from enceinte to breathtaking.

10.
Galadriel: I give you the light of Eärendil, our most beloved star. May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out.

Gandalf: A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Galadriel: The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it

Gandalf: The battle of Helm’s Deep is over; the battle for Middle Earth is about to begin.

Theoden: Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountain, like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow. How did it come to this?

Aragorn: Hold your ground, hold your ground! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you *stand, Men of the West!*

Arwen: From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Gollum: The thieves. The thieves. The filthy little thieves. Where is it? Where is it? They stole it from us. My precious. Curse them. We hates them. It’s ours, it is, and we wants it.

2 .
Pippin: I didn’t think it would end this way.
Gandalf: End? No, the journey doesn’t end here. Death is just another path… One that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass… And then you see it. Pippin: What? Gandalf?… See what?
Gandalf: White shores… and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.
Pippin: Well, that isn’t so bad.
Gandalf: No… No it isn’t.

Frodo: I can’t do this, Sam.
Sam: I know. It’s all wrong. By rights we shouldn’t even be here. But we are. It’s like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.
Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?
Sam: That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.

This was my favorite quotes, from the movie, which I think affected me the most. If you are in the mood, you’re welcome to leave a comment, with your favorite quotes from Lord of the Rings.

Now, why don’t you take the horror villians quizz?

69 Responses to “10 Favorite Lord of the Rings Quotes”

1. Star Quotes says:

Smeagol? Smeagol? Sam? – Frodo when caught in the spider web.

2. Chris says:

Frodo: “I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.”
    Gandalf: “So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

3. Jim Sullivan says:

Sam: “I can’t carry it for you, Mr. Frodo…. But I *can* carry you!”

4. Michael Liennard says:

Aragorn: For Frodo!

5. Nina says:

Sam: “I can’t carry it for you mister Frodo, but I CAN carry you” .

6. Aragorn : ” Then I shall die as one of them ! “

7. Jackk says:

i got him into the worst kind of trouble… but i was always there to get him out.

8. Akram says:

My Friends…..”You Bow To No One”

9. John says:

“How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart you begin to understand there is no going back. There are some things that time can not mend. Some hurts that go too deep… that have taken hold.”

10. Steve says:

Theoden: Reform the Line, Reform the Line! Sound the Charge, Take them head on! (Horns Blowing) CHARGE!!

11. estrellamartinez says:

SAM: You cant go through Mordor in not but your skins

12. estrellamartinez says:

The closer we are to trouble, the farther we are from harm.

13. michael millsap says:

Theoden: for death and glory
    aragon: for rohan, for your people
    Gimli: the sun is rising
    Gandalf: head to my coming, at first site on the 5th day, at dawn, look to the east.
    Theoden: yes, YES, the horn of helmhelmahelm shall sound in the deep, one last time..
    Gimli: YEESS
    Theoden: may this be the hour we draw swords together., fel deeds awake, now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn!
    *horn sound in the deep*

14. Jack says:

First, I don’t mean this badly but it is Helm Hammerhand…

Theoden: “Forth! Down fear of darkness! Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day… a red day… and the sun rises! Ride now… Ride now… Ride! Ride for ruin and the world’s ending! Death!”

15. Athishay says:

My Precious……..

16. Luci says:

Legolas: A red sun rises, blood has been spilt this night

17. Ringer says:

Be silent. Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I did not pass through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm.
    *Gandalf*

18. Cat says:

Smeagol: “And we wept, Precious, we wept to be so alone. And we forgot the taste of bread, the sound of trees, the softness of the wind . . . We even forgot our own name.” (in a choking cough)

ARAGORN
    No news of Frodo?

GANDALF
    No word … nothing.

ARAGORN
    We till have time.

GANDALF turns quickly to ARAGORN.

ARAGORN (cont’d)
    Every day Frpdo moves closer to Mordor.

GANDALF watches his friend’s face . . . seeking reassurance.

GANDALF
    Do we know that?

ARAGORN
    (gently)
    What does your heart tell you?

GANDALF
    (with a small smile)
    That Frodo is alive.
    (to himself)
    Yes – yes, he is alive.

19. Aditya Mandalemula says:

Bilbo to Frodo: It’s a tricky business Frodo. Once you go onto the road and if you don’t keep your feel firmly on the ground, there’s no knowing where you’ll be swept off to.

20. Aditya Mandalemula says:

Bilbo to Frodo: “It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

21. Aditya Mandalemula says:

“One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.”

• stephanie s says:

it should be the whole poem.

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
      Seven for the dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
      Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
      One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
      One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

22. Aditya Mandalemula says:

Haldir: “The dwarf breathes so loud, we could have shot him in the dark.”

23. Aditya Mandalemula says:

“And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years, the ring passed out of all knowledge.”

24. Aditya Mandalemula says:

“A hunted man sometimes wearies of distrust and longs for friendship.”

25. Barbieee says:

“We cannot get out . . . they have taken the corridors . . . THEY ARE COMING!” (In moria)

26. CC says:

“No man can kill me. Die now”
    Eowyn: “I am no man!”

27. Monty says:

“Frodo, it’s an Oliphant”

28. kiddo says:

Frodo: I’m going to Mordor alone.
    Sam: Of course you are, and I’m coming with you!

29. dino Borges says:

Gandalf
    you shall not Pass

30. The lotr freak says:

*legolas kills oiliphant all by himself*

Gimili: That still only counts as one!!

31. Lord of the Rings ROCKS says:

*Sam: “what are you up to? Sneaking off are we?”
    *Gollum: “Sneaking? Sneaking? Fat hobbit is always so polite. Smeagol shows them secret way that nobody else could find. And they say sneak! Sneak? Very nice friend oh yes My Precious very nice…”
    *Sam: “All right all right! You just startled me is all. What were you doing?”
    *Gollum: “Sneaking….”

32. Lord of the Rings ROCKS says:

Gandalf: Fool of a Took!

33. Micha says:

Treebeard “Hroom”

34. Micha says:

Gimli: [eagerly] “Salted pork?”

35. Micha says:

Gimli “Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?”

36. Micha says:

Gimli: Never thought I’d die fighting side by side with an Elf.
    Legolas: What about side by side with a friend?
    Gimli: Aye. I could do that.

37. Kelli says:

“They come with fire.. they come with axes.. Gnawing, biting, breaking, hacking, burning! Destroyers and usurpers, CURSE THEM!”

“Nobody cares for the woods anymore”

38. LGB says:

Theoden: “Simbelmyne”, ‘Ever has it grown on the tombs of my forebears. Now it shall cover the grave of my son. Alas, that these evil days should be mine. The young perish and the old linger. That I should live to see that last days of my house’.

39. JJ says:

Great quotes. I found it very appropriate to pick up one of them as my “introduction quote” for my thesis dissertation:
    “The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it”
    Wish me good luck to be done with it.

40. Mike says:

Frodo: “Its a pity that Bilbo didn’t kill him(Gollum) when he had the chance.

Gandalf: “Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo’s hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them Frodo? Do not be eager to deal out death in judgement, for not even the very wise can see all ends. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill. The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many.”

41. Diane says:

Gandalf:
    All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

42. Haya says:

I’m not sure if this quote’s in the movies but its one of my favorite from the books.

“All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither
Deep roots are not reached by frost.
    From the ashes a fire shall be woken,

A light from the shadows shall spring;

Renewed shall be blade that was broken:

The crownless again shall be king.”

Elrond:
    “This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields, to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it?”

• catherine says:

They do, but just the last four lines… and I dontthink elrond says that line though..

43. Latoya says:

Bilbo: “I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as you deserve”

Pippin: “Anyways, you need people of intelligence on this sort of…mission…quest…thing.”
    Merry: “Well, that rules you out, Pip.”

44. sarah matthews says:

Galadriel-“Even the smallest person can change the course of the future”

45. Abomb says:

Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor

Gandalf: Courage is found in unlikely places

Pip and Merry: Short cuts make long delays

“Well, here at last, dear friends, on the shores of the sea comes the end of our fellowship with Middle-Earth.
    Go in peace!
    I will not say: Do not weep, for not all tears are an evil

46. James says:

Urukai: Looks like meat’s back on the menu boys!!

47. Melanie says:

Sam to Frodo ” Don’t go where I can’t follow.” That line made me cry =(

48. scott says:

Aragorn: “You cannot wield it! None of us can. The One Ring answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master.”

Boromir: “And what would a ranger know of this matter?”

Legolas: “*This is no mere ranger*. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance.”

49. Mithrandir says:

TREEBEARD
    Little Orcs! Burárum!!

MERRY
    We’re not Orcs. We’re Hobbits!

TREEBEARD
    Hobbits? Never heard of a hobbit before.
    Sounds like Orc mischief to me!

50. Ray says:

Gimli: Whats happening Down there??!!
    Legolas: shall i describe it to you or you want me to find you a box??

51. Ethan says:

“Fly, you fools!”

52. Smeagol98 says:

Pippin drops bucket and skeleton down well in moria

Gandalf: fool of a took! Throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity!!!!

53. Sarah says:

Pippen: Maybe Treebeard;s right. Maybe we should go home. The worlds too big for us Merry. what can we do in the end? We’ve got the Shire.
    Merry: The fires of Isenguard will spred. And the forests of Tutburrol and Buckland will burn. And.. and all that was once green and beautiful in this world will be gone. There won’t be a Shire Pippen.

54. Regan says:

Gandalf: “I will not say: Do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.”

55. Anonymous says:

Sam- There should be enough food, I’ve been rationing it.
    Frodo- Rationing it for what?
    Sam- The journey home

Awesome line :)

56. Maggie says:

Run, Shadowfax! Show us the meaning of haste!

57. Daniel says:

Hehe, dude what have you been smoking? ,- these are merly quotes, and the most wise words in LOTR by Tolkien are:

Gandalf:
    Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them?

Frodo :
    “I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened”.

Gandalf:
    – So do all that come to see such times, but that is not for them to decide.
    All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

58. Rohan says:

You shall not pass, i am the wielder of the flame of anor,a servant of the secret fire!you shall not pass ! go back to the shadow ,flame of udun! YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

59. Dewy says:

Gimli: Oh come on, we can take ‘em.
    Aragorn: It’s a long way.
    Gimli: Toss me.
    Aragorn: What?
    Gimli: I cannot jump the distance, you’ll have to toss me.
    [pauses, looks up at Aragorn]
    Gimli: Don’t tell the elf.
    Aragorn: Not a word.

60. Yousif says:

Certainty of death, small chance of success – What are we waiting for?

61. Crystal says:

Sam: I made a promise Mr. Frodo. A promise! Don’t you leave him Samwise Gamgee. And i don’t mean to. I don’t mean to.

Gets me every time…..especially in the book.

62. LittleMelon says:

Frodo wouldnt have got far without Sam

63. Linn Johansson says:

I love that qoute on first place. It’s my favourite, and when he starts talking about how people will tell the stories to their children and he says that Frodo was very brave. Then Frodos says that he wouldn’t make it without Sam. Makes me cry every time I read it or watch it. ♥

64. Phil says:

tell me, old friend… when did saruman the wise trade reason for madness?!

65. khalid says:

I loved them all.but my best and still is:
    Aragorn: I summon you to fulfill your oath.
    King of the Dead: None but the king of Gondor may command me.
    King of the Dead: That blade was broken!
    Aragorn: It has been remade.
    Aragorn: Fight for us… and regain your honor.

66. Stephen says:

Interesting choice for number 1 quote, many believe the start of this is Peter Jackson poking fun at his own film as Frodo and Sam never visited Osgiliath in the book. “By rights we shouldn’t even be here”. Clever!

67. not for you to know says:

“The way is shut. It was made by those who are dead…and the dead keep it. The way is shut” said by Legolas and the King of the Dead